Leslie Gates earned her B.S.E. in Art Education from Millersville University of Pennsylvania, her M.A. in Curriculum and Instruction from Shepherd University, and her Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Maryland College Park. She has taught art education at the high school and elementary levels in both urban and rural contexts. Leslie is currently an Associate Professor of Art Education at Millersville University of Pennsylvania, where she teaches undergraduate and graduate courses and supervises teacher candidates.
Leslie has served as a curriculum consultant to public school districts, given a number of invited lectures, and facilitated opportunities for professional learning at various conferences, seminars, and workshops. Her professional interests include arts educators’ professional learning, assessment in the arts, and postmodern and choice-based approaches to art education.
News and External Links:
- WGAL Story on Zoom Drawings
- 2018 Young Alumni Achievement Award – Leslie Gates, Ph.D.
- Dr. Leslie Gates PA’s Art Educator of the Year
- About Leslie Gates (Sept., 2015)
- Getting Creative with Text
- Saturday Art School Receives National Art Education Foundation Grant
- Gates Receives Grant for Art Education Research (p. 5)
- Meet the Professors: Say Hello to Dr. Leslie Gates (May, 2020)